9 things I would tell my 16 year old self

So, I am 27 years old. I've been thinking a lot lately on what I wish I knew years ago to assist me in aging gracefully and be the best looking version of myself (superficial, I know). I didn't have a mom during my teenage years so there was no-one around to give me this type of advice. Especially over the last few weeks I thought of a few things that I would tell my 16 year old self, and maybe you could benefit from them too :)


1. Don't overpluck your eyebrows
I think a lot of people have encountered this 'problem'. You were so obsessed with plucking and "shaping" your eyebrows in your teens that they are now thin and scattered. Well, this is one piece of advice that I actually did follow! I was too scared to pluck my own eyebrows earier on, so I didn't. Whilst I don't have Cara eyebrows I still have the freedom to groom them as I wish. I go for threading every couple of weeks and I am happy with their appearance.

2. Don't wash your hair everyday
This is one piece of advice my mother did actually give me, when I was about 7! If you wash your hair (shampoo and conditioner) everyday then you will strip your hair of all its natural oils. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and that plus the fact that I haven't dyed my hair in a year has left my tresses silky soft. I'm no expert, but I would recommend getting out of the habit over a few weeks; leave your unwashed for 2 days, then 3 days, then four over the next few weeks and see if it makes a difference. Dry shampoo is always a winner.

3. Floss every night
I know, flossing takes a lot of time and really is a mission. But - it's worth it!! You need to floss in order to clean out the gaps between your teeth, where bacteria often reside. If you don't floss, you're more likely to have plaque build-up, which can lead to cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease. Ew.

4. Start using eye cream and wrinkle cream from about 18 years old
Whilst I don't have 'proper' wrinkles (ones that are visible all the time as opposed to when you smile or squint) I do have fine lines, especially around my eyes. I've been a little lazy with performing all of my night-time skin routine (I get too tired and just crash) I have been better lately with putting cream on my eyes every night. I am also investigating a fine line 'filler' to use under my makeup, sometimes my base and concealer highlight the fine lines under my eye.

5. Save up for laser hair removal
I am so over the shaving and waxing. Laser hair removal is the way to go, I would suggest saving up every month in order to do so.

6. Don't get a tattoo
I am SO happy that I never got a tattoo. Whilst it is defintely a personal preference, I feel that tattoos can be subject to trends (think tramp stamps) and aren't as pretty when you get older; especially in the working world. No offense to anyone that has a tattoo, again this is just my personal preference.

7. Change up skin and hair regime for different seasons
Your skin and hair behave differently in summer compared to winter. In winter I use more moisturising products and really try to skip the heat tools (my hair tends to be more dry in this season). I buy different products for the different seasons and I've felt such a difference changing up my routine.

8. Exercise and start yoga early
I didn't exercise for 10 years after school, can you believe it?! I thought I didn't have the time to do so. This year, I made time! When you hit your mid-20s your body changes. I was always skinny throughout school but felt a drastic change at ±25. My metabolism slowed down and all of a sudden I couldn't eat the way I used to. Cue putting on 10kgs. This year I have combined weight-training, cardio and yoga in my weekly routine. I feel GREAT and I'm looking better too. I have been getting lots of compliments of looking good, and I haven't even lost taht much weight. I even completed my first 10km race a few weeks ago :)

9. Don't cut your hair / don't overdo it with your heat tools
My hair has gotten so thin over the last 6 years; this time directly coincides with when I got given my first ghd for my 21st birthday and when I cut all my hair off. My hair used to be full, volumous and curly (like ringlets curly). I cut a bob when I was 21 and I regret it to this day. It took years to grow back to the length I like and now it is so thin. I actually think I am going to buy clip-in extensions because I can't deal with the thiness any longer. 

I hope that this advise is helpful. Do you have any more to add?

Labels: , , ,