My Current Faves from Catrice and Essence

Hiya everyone ♡

Catrice and Essence are two of my all time fave drugstore makeup brands. I am rather poor, to be blunt, so I try save high-end buys for 'must-haves'. Here are my current faves from Catrice and Essence...

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Catrice High Glow Mineral Highlighting Powder in 010 Light Infusion - R89.95

Hooray! The first local, drugstore highlighter that I love! My fave highlighter which have a permanent position outside of my makeup drawers are from Sleek (UK), H&M (UK), and Benefit Watts Up (high end). I heard about the Catrice one through the blogosphere and knew I had to have it.

This highlighter is baked and is infused with minerals and fine light-reflecting pearls. I use a large eyeshadow brush (MAC 224SH Tapered Blending Brush) to apply it to the highest part of my cheekbones for a truly glowy look. Whilst it looks like it has a little undertone to it in the pan, when it is applied it gives off a modest silvery sparkle.

My rating: ★★★★★

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Essence Sun Club Matt Bronzing Power - Lighter Skin - R67.50

Who doesn't like a bronzed goddess-like look? A tan makes everyone appear healthier and even slimmer. As I sit in an office all day I sadly lost the permanent tan I was blessed with in my outdoorsy youth. I feel as though I am constantly tending to my pale complexion, using three different self tanners on a regular basis. 

I have used the Essence Sun Club Shimmer Bronzing Powder for years now, it's my fave shimmer bronzer! When I saw the (massive) matt one at the Essence counter at Dischem I thought "meh, let's give this one a try - matt is all the rage now anyways". I am so chuffed I did. I actually prefer wearing matt bronzers for everyday, and the large pan allows me to swoop a large powder brush over the pan and delicately across my face. I also love the embossed palm tree on the product.

My rating: ★★★★★

*Disclaimer: As I have always loved my Essence bronzers I have not tried a wide-range of alternate brands.

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Catrice Prime and Fine Beautifying Primer - R79.95

Oh, how I love a good primer. I am typically a huge fan of silicone-based primers that fill in pores and provide a super-smooth canvas for my makeup (Inglot Under Makeup Base and Maybelline Baby Skin are my fave) - this one breaks that mould. This "beautifying" primer has a silky texture and can be worn on its own, pre-foundation application, or even added to foundation or BB/CC cream. I love that it has light-reflecting pearl pigments (I am sensing a trend here...) and it really does illuminate my complexion. The primer even claims to optically create and more even skin tone and gives a soft focus effect to your skin. Sounds to me like a Snapchat filter (follow me @camgildenhuys) ;)

I love the glowy affect and the price allows me to use it everyday with no budgetary stress.

My rating: ★★★★☆

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Catrice Camouflage Cream in 025 Rosy Sand - R52.95

I have all different types of concealers; liquids, sticks, pens, pencils, and creams. I use them for different reasons and I have a range of shades. I have had a few nasty blemishes lately so I needed a concealer that was wasn't too sheer or 'fluid'. This cream concealer from Catrice (the first Catrice product I ever purchased) fit the bill to a T! 

It says it is a "coverage cream with full coverage" and that is the perfect way to describe it. It's also waterproof when set. I have to admit, I feel very self-conscious about my acne scarring so I do wear a tiny amount of makeup (only concealer) to gym. The waterproof-ness is perfect for the high intensity of my workout, no sweat + concealer mess ;) 
PS My trainer is very good looking 

My rating: ★★★★★

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Essence Velvet Stick Matt Lip Colour in Peony Star - R38.95

My new fave lip colour! I am utterly obsessed with this nudey-mauve colour. I even included in my April faves on YouTube. I find matt lip products to be very drying, I think we can all attest to that, so I like that this one is "silky-matt". It's not drying and still gives off that matt look. It has a very soft texture and is super high coverage. One coat lasts for ages! 

My rating: ★★★★★

Catrice and Essence Makeup Favourites | Jane Wonder

Catrice Blush Artist Shading Palette in 020 CorAll I Need - R79.95

I have really been stepping up my blush game lately. I am trying to work up a better colour selection as I haven't bought much blush in ages. I love this trio from Catrice as I have three colours to choose from and its compact enough to throw in my gym makeup bag. 

As the shade name suggests, we have some coral tones as well as some light berry tones. I really love the three colours and love that one is more matt (but not completely matt) to the two other shimmery ones (the middle shade is matt). My only gripe is that it is difficult to collect enough pigment 

My rating: ★★★★☆


Have you tried any of these products out? Let me know in the comments!

In case you missed it, here is my latest YouTube video where I even mention the Essence Velvet Stick Matt Lip Colour - please subscribe :D



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,